The Assistance Cart
While one of the many charms of Fire Island is the prohibition of almost all motor vehicles during the summer season, it can present difficulties for those residents and visitors with mobility challenges. The Association funds and operates the free Assistance Cart during the summer season to help make our community accessible to all Association members and their guests.
Please call 516-761-4405 to make a reservation
Assistance Cart Rules
1. 12-hour notification except emergencies - if not, no guarantee
2. No travel to Ocean Beach and Seaview on Weekends
3. Weekdays anywhere
4. No boardwalk pick ups, only Midway and Bay Walk
5. Hours are 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays
6. 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekends
7. Emergency doctor rides to Seaview anytime
8. No freight pick ups
9. Must be a member of association to use our services
10. Elderly or disabled passengers only
11. Memorial Day Weekend till June 30th weekends only. Full service July 1 thru Labor Day depending on driver volunteers.
12. Prior to and after those dates limited availability use Bartley as second call
13. Not for personal use
Our OBPA volunteer drivers will be provided with the cart cell phone and passenger schedules for the day and will answer calls for future pick-ups.