The Assistance Cart
While one of the many charms of Fire Island is the prohibition of almost all motor vehicles during the summer season, it can present difficulties for those residents and visitors with mobility challenges. The Association funds and operates the free Assistance Cart during the summer season to help make our community accessible to all Association members and their guests.
Please call 516-761-4405 to make a reservation
Assistance Cart Rules
1. Must be a member of the OBPA
2. Elderly or disabled passengers only
3. Not for personal use
4. No boardwalk pickups
5. No freight pickups
6. Weekends only: Memorial Day - June 30; Full service July 1 - Labor Day (if driver available)
7. 9am - 9pm on weekdays, 8am - 10pm on weekends
8. 12 hour notification requested, except emergencies
9. No travel to Seaview or Ocean Beach at any time except for doctor or religious services
Our OBPA volunteer drivers will be provided with the cart cell phone and passenger schedules for the day and will answer calls for future pick-ups.